Replace Your Motion Control Hardware with Precision-Performance Software at Half the Cost
KINGSTAR Soft Motion provides all the benefits of a software solution to motion control in an automatically configured EtherCAT environment with “plug-and-play” compatibility. With the highest quality and performance of pre-integrated and pre-tested motion libraries, KINGSTAR delivers motion control at half the cost of traditional hardware platforms.
Deliver Software-Only Motion Control and Positioning Systems Quickly and Affordably
KINGSTAR Soft Motion is an open and standards-based, software-only solution that streamlines motion control automation. Soft Motion runs directly on the PC, uses the NIC card for I/O, and uses the powerful EtherCAT protocol to free you from the shackles of proprietary and costly hardware. With Soft Motion, motion control engineers can design, develop and integrate PC-based machine controllers in a “plug-and-play” environment for consolidated, inexpensive and scalable motion control.
Reduce costs: Replace hardware with software to reduce machine control costs by 25-50%.
Speed time-to-market: Improve productivity with pre-integrated motion libraries and EtherCAT auto-configuration.
Enhance performance: Improve machine performance and control by using the PC NIC, Ethernet cables and EtherCAT infrastructure.
Scale dynamically: Auto-configure an EtherCAT network when swapping any servo drives and I/O devices.
Extend easily: Add any 3rd party protocols or open source libraries with no vendor lock-in.
Improve UX : Build a powerful UI with a world-class Windows Interface (HMI)
With Soft Motion, there is no more complex architecture, no more cabling configurations, no proprietary hardware, and no limits to scalability. Instead, you get better automation and control engineering, at lower cost.
Leverage CANopen Over EtherCAT Industry Standard Support
Deliver the most deterministic response of any industrial real-time Ethernet system available. By processing 1,000 I/Os in 32.5 µs or 100 axes in 125 µs, motion control engineers can provide breakthrough machine performance at a lower price.
- Replace proprietary network protocol and I/O hardware with PC NIC and Ethernet cabling
- Replace proprietary hardware motion cards with a software motion kernel
- Use inexpensive Ethernet cables rather than proprietary fieldbus cables
- Leverage the EtherCAT master and configuration wizard
- Move to EtherCAT and use your own or KINGSTAR motion control software
- Use OPC UA for secure, open and reliable data communication
Choose KINGSTAR or an EtherCAT Master from an Industry-Leading Partner
To guarantee that devices from different manufacturers can work with one another, you need the centralized controller architecture that an EtherCAT Master can provide. KINGSTAR has partnered with the world’s leading EtherCAT Master providers to deliver true plug-and-play auto-configurations in a seamless single installation.
- Acontis Technologies provides EtherCAT master that is compatible with IntervalZero’s RTX64 for a real-time EtherCAT programming environment.
- ESD provides an EtherCAT Master with additional support for higher layer protocols and implementations of real-time applications.
- Koenig provides an EtherCAT master for RTX64. Koenig focuses on industrial process control and factory automation with its flagship products of KPA Master EtherCAT and KPA Studio EtherCAT.
Auto-Configure Servo Drives and I/O Devices
Interchange servo drives and I/O devices from the most comprehensive list of manufacturers to auto-configure the EtherCAT network.
- Utilize a single configuration environment with pre-integrated EtherCAT servo drives and I/O devices for plug-and-play compatibility
- Choose from the most comprehensive and cost effective EtherCAT servo drive manufacturers
- Run a 125 microsecond servo loop update cycle
- Synchronize execution of up to 64 axes
- Scan the EtherCAT fieldbus for list of slave devices without starting the master
Use Hard Real-Time Determinism
Provide true, native 64-bit extension of the Windows operating system and deliver SMP RTOS capabilities for the real-time deterministic behavior necessary for motion control and machine vision applications.
- Use the most recent IntervalZero’s RTX64 hard real-time SMP aware subsystem for determinism on Windows
- Use proven software technology to transform Windows into an RTOS
- Gain kernel-level control of motion commands on open, standard x86 multicore Windows PCs
- Choose machine control that is highly customizable and has hard real-time, high-precision capabilities
- Leverage 64-bit real-time kernal OS addressing
- Work exclusively in the Windows open loop process, but retain access to the closed loop processing through motion kernel API
- Add real-time functions to truly optimize machine control and automation
- Extend and access via C, C++ and .NET for general purpose RTOS, versus proprietary scripting language offered by others for proprietary RTOS
- Transform Windows 10 IoT into an RTOS and use Microsoft’s Azure Cloud as a backend for motion control
Draw from Diverse SDKs and Libraries
Leverage a suite of programming libraries, drivers, utilities, help files and sample programs that combine to form the most comprehensive and robust set of multi-axis motion control commands and functions.
- Pre-integrated and pre-tested motion libraries and servos that deliver functionality for EtherCAT, servo and I/O modules, motion and trajectory, electronic CAM, and PLC ladder logic
- APIs compatible with popular hardware motion cards
- Single command and script command API
- Motion control algorithm that executes directly on Industrial PC (IPC) and in hard real-time, not on a PCI-based card that plugs into IPC
- Works exclusively in the Windows open loop process but can access the closed loop processing through motion kernel API
- Multiple modes of motion including point-to-point positioning, position tracking, jogging, linear, spiral, cylindrical, conical, spherical and circular interpolation, contouring, electronic gearing and e-cam
- Ability to issue familiar command and control, position, or velocity instructions to the KINGSTAR Motion Kernel via Windows .NET API
Fine Tune, Configure and Analyze Servo Motors with the KINGSTAR Tuning Console
Once your motion control system is set up and ready for use, you must fine tune and adjust the tuning parameters in order to properly and optimally have the actual path match your desired movement path. KINGSTAR enables this in a variety of ways:
- Collect and plot various signals including position, velocity and position error on multiple axes
- Graphically examine collected data using cursor and zooming tools
- Execute motion commands while collecting data
- Automatically tune the servo loop to achieve the desired system performance using the auto tune feature
- Manually tune to achieve optimal movement path if so desired
- Calculate and enable multiple digital filters to improve system performance
- Perform loop transmissions on each axis that allow advanced analysis and optimization of servo-loop tuning and performance
- Automatically tune an amplified encoder and view the results
- Configure plots collected in the Digital Scope to display data differently based on input from the controller
- Set data collected from an axis to display as a different color, or not display at all, based on the state of the controller digital outputs and inputs
Develop on a Single Integrated Development Environment with Visual Studio
Use the power of our partner Microsoft’s comprehensive development toolkit to create real-time motion and machine vision applications in C, C++ and .NET.
- Develop Visual Studio custom applications using RTX libraries in C or C++
- Program with KINGSTAR and access the motion library via individual commands or via scripts
- Insulate the developer from worrying about the thread prioritization and real-time issues in the closed loop communications with the servos
Navigate on an Intuitive User Interface
The intuitive, Windows-based user interface of KINGSTAR’s Soft Motion control makes it simple to deploy changes to your motion control system.
- Create powerful UIs with Windows Interface (HMI)
- Support HMI and motion control from a single installation